Fire / Water Damage Restoration
Within minutes of water damage occurring, bacteria and mold growth can begin. This leaves airborne spores that can cause allergies, asthma and many other breathing problems. It is important to deal with water damage as soon as possible by calling in the professional water damage restoration team of Carpet Cleaning San Antonio.
Dealing with Water Damage
While you are waiting for the professionals there are a few things you can do and some that you must not do under any circumstances.
- Make sure all electricity is switched off especially if there is standing water still visible and do not attempt to use any electrical appliances for water extraction.
- Remove any excess water you can by any means.
- Take away any rugs and cushions that have been affected, if possible hang them outside to dry.
- Lift and prop curtains that are close to or affected by the wet areas.
- Move any valuables to a drier location so that they are not affected by the damp.
- Open all drawers, cupboards and cabinets that are in the affected area to start drying them out.
- Do not tamper with the books that are wet, rather pack them solidly together so that pages do not get ruined and wait for the professional restorers to deal with them.
- Do not touch any visible mold with your bare hands.
- Leave the wall to wall carpeting to the professionals to tackle as well as any other furniture or decorative items that are not removable.
Dealing with Fire Damage
Most importantly if the fire is still blazing get out! Don't hang around and try to put out the fire, leave it to the professionals.
Once the fire has been doused, there are a few basic tips that you can adhere to in order to prevent further damage.
- If the temperature of the rooms affected by the fire is above 60 degrees, make sure that the windows and doors are open to reduce smoke odor.
- You can clean all of the Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures to prevent permanent damage, but do not attempt to deal with larger areas.
- Cover or remove loose documents to prevent soot in the air coming to rest on them and therefore ruining them.
- If you have any open or exposed food, throw it away.
- If you have a heating system or furnace that uses forced hot air, clean the filters and switch it off.
- Do not wash walls or floors, washing them incorrectly after smoke and fire damage can cause further harm.
- Try to avoid using electricity and any appliances until they have been checked by professionals, especially if water was used to douse the fire.
- Leave the cleaning of carpets, upholstered furniture and all types of furniture to the professionals.
- Try to avoid touching anything until the professionals arrive as oil and grease from your hands can react with the soot and smoke causing more damage.
In all instances it is important to contact a professional water and fire damage restoration service such as Carpet Cleaning San Antonio (210) 858-9124 as soon as possible, we will be happy to advise you on how to proceed and save what you can.